Celebrating Over 1000 Neighbourhood Plan Referendums
Wednesday 10th June 2020
The June 2020 Edition of the Ministry of Housing, Community and Local Government's (MHCLG) newsletter Notes on Neighbourhood Planning celebrates over 1000 successful neighbourhood plan referendums that have taken place since the implementation of the Localism Act 2011.
This milestone is a timely celebration and reminder of the dedication and commitment in communities to neighbourhood planning, particularly given no further neighbourhood planning referendums can now take place as a consequence of COVID-19 until 6 May 2021.
MHCLG's latest newsletter also incldues articles covering:
- Neighbourhood Planning & Covid-19: arrangements for the continuation of neighbourhood planning, including ensuring neighbourhood plans awaiting referendum are given significant weight in the decision making process.
- Affordable Housing for Sale support programme: the pilot is to continue up to April 2021, with 141 neighbourhood planning groups having benefitted from funding packages to support them in identify suitable sites for affordable housing for sale.
- First Homes Consultation: First Homes is a new housing product that will be sold at a discount of at least 30% for local first time buyers and certain others groups, the details of which the government has recently consulted on.
- Meet the Champion: Janvrin Edbrooke gives her perspective as a Neighbourhood Planning Champion who has worked on 3 neighbourhood plans in the South West, including Exmouth Neighbourhood Plan which was examined by IPe's Jill Kingaby.
- Neighbourhood Plan Reviews: the discussion of plan reviews includes the Farnham Neighbourhood Plan Review, which was examined by IPe's Derek Stebbing (Derek also examined the Town Council's original Plan in 2017).
Read the June 2020 Notes on Neighbourhood Planning HERE